Thursday, August 6, 2015

Fail Friday (On a Thursday)

Introducing a new blog series called "Fail Friday," in which I reveal the not-so-pretty aspects of being an artist, times I royally screwed up, had things not go my way, etc. I will post a new one every Friday.

I think, understandably, we only want to show the successful stuff and share only our good news with our followers, but I want to show that being an artist is hard. It takes making a lot of mistakes, being dumb, and struggling. The viewer doesn't normally think about that when they're admiring a lovely painting by an artist who always seems to have their shit together. Believe me, we don't.

For this series, I'll share some of my unfortunate experiences and I would like to invite others to join me. Please contact me about a time you felt like giving up, did something you regret, or felt just overall icky about your artistic practice. I will share it here. You can provide your name or keep it anonymous. It is totally up to you.

So to kick things off, here is one of my fails:

"In high school, I got a D in art class. Not on one assignment. That was my class average."
-Chloe York



No comments:

Post a Comment