Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Al Held

Al Held

Al Held

Al Held- This piece is at the San Antonio Museum of Art
Recently, I took a business trip to San Antonio, Texas. In my downtime there, I was able to stop by the San Antonio Museum of Art, which if you have never been there, is IMMENSE. I counted about 5 or 6 floors in this building, each floor holding a different unique exhibit. I saw a beautiful Helen Frankenthaler piece, a Diebenkorn, and I discovered this wonderful contemporary artist named Al Held, who had a gigantic monster of a painting on the 1st floor by the entrance of the museum. I have never spent so much time gazing at a piece before. I guess maybe it was the sheer size, the flatness that I love to use in my own work, but mostly it was how dimensional and spacious the painting was in spite of all of its clean and flat handling. I even teared up a little bit while I looked. For more on this late, great artist, click here.




No comments:

Post a Comment