Monday, February 6, 2012

3-D Animation Love

My armature came with its own tiny screwdriver!

This is the final semester of my undergrad year. So what better way to top it all off than with participating in one of the most time-consuming, tedious, and challenging forms of art-that of stop-motion or 3-D animation. Enrolling in this class has further proven my masochistic disregard toward maintaining a manageable schedule that allows me to sleep at night and be a normal, social being. I'm sure everyone is familiar with what filming something in this style entails, but I'm gonna tell you anyway.

First you have to come up with a story and character designs. In regular 2-D animation, the artists simply draw out their characters and backgrounds and use a computer system (pardon my ignorance for all things design art; we've not yet covered the animation software portion of the class) to make their characters move and interact within that space. That alone is tedious enough, but imagine having to build your characters and construct your sets and backdrops and then having to painstakingly move your character through the space little by little, all the while photographing the slight movements as you go. Oh and if you happen to move something too much or bump into one of your stage elements, you're screwed and that sequence of shots is over.

It takes hundreds of individual shoots with the camera to produce only a few minutes of the animation, so I imagine once we actually start creating our films, you won't be hearing from me anymore. But to tide you over, here is the armature that I was assigned and a preliminary sketch for what my character is going to look like. 

A decorator crab person! And it's going to move on its own! Well, on screen anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment