Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tracy Lauritzen-Wright

Tracy Lauritzen-Wright, who works for the National Civil Rights Museum, offered our class a different sort of career path to consider, but which still applies to the arts in some way: curating and museum work. I found this talk to be informative in the sense that the way she obtained her jobs and experience differed from the other visiting artists we have spoken to in recent weeks. It was nice to hear her confess that she had thought very little about a career before graduating and was unsure about her future, which I guess appealed to me so much because it makes me feel that discovering a path of my own will not be nearly as daunting as I've been thinking. Her presentation was neat and concise, though the slides could have been a little more attractive. I especially liked the addition of her resume and job experience in the presentation. It clearly mapped out every step she took to get where she is now and that was nicer than just getting a general summary of a few things she may have done here and there and in no particular order. I came away from this talk with a better understanding of museum work and I'm very glad I was able to participate in a National Civil Rights Museum event before Tracy arrived because it gave me something to discuss with her after the talk. A few other students and myself had taken part in the museum's birthday celebration as volunteer face painters and there was a strong turnout for families and their children at the event, so when I asked her about any sort of youth program the museum might have, she told me they didn't have one specifically, but they do sometimes host activites geared toward informing kids about the museum and its exhibits as well as the history of Civil Rights. I would encourage every museum, no matter what kind, to have some sort of a youth oriented program like this and I'd be very interested to see exactly how this might happen and how I could possibly be involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment